The event “Math – How to learn & Where to do?” is organized on March 20, 2021 by Vingroup Innovation Foundation – Vingroup Big Data Institute, Institute of Mathematics and Center for Information and Documentation, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology. The event is to celebrate International Day of Mathematics.
In November 2019, at the 40th session of General Assembly, UNESCO officially selected March 14 as International Day of Mathematics. This year, the day’s topic was “Mathematics for a better world”. In Vietnam, International Day of Mathematics will be co-organized by Vingroup Innovation Foundation – Vingroup Big Data Institute, Institute of Mathematics and Center for Information and Documentation, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
Starting from the inspiring question: “Where is mathematics in everyday life?”, the event covers various content from the relationship between Mathematics and nature, to the emergence of mathematical theory in philosophy, architectural design, games of chance, also its application in real production situation of Vietnam.
Moreover, with the development of modern technology, especially in the context of digital transformation and Covid-19 pandemic, Mathematics clearly shows its importance.
- Duration: 9:00 – 17:00, Saturday, March 20, 2021.
- 8h30 – 9:00: Tea Party
- [9:00 – 12.10] Part 1: HOW TO LEARN?
- [9h15 – 10:00] Euler’s polyhedron and math mysteries – Assoc. Prof. PhD. Phan Thi Ha Duong (Institute of Mathematics and Vingroup Innovation Foundation).
- [10:30 – 11h15] The beauty of Operations Research & Optimization through practical applications in Vietnam – PhD. Ha Minh Hoang (Phenikaa University)
- [11:25 – 1210] Mathematics in the fight against Covid-19 pandemic – Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Ngoc Doanh (Thuy Loi University)
[12h20-14h00] Lunch break & Book tour (Organizers prepare lunch for attendees).
3. [14h00 – 16h30] Part 2
- [14h00 – 14h45] The story of Paul – Prof. Vu Ha Van (Vingroup Big Data Institute and Yale University).
- [15h15 – 16h30] Seminar: “Where to do?”
There are well-known scientists and business leaders taking part in the seminar, including Nguyen Ngoc Doanh (Thuy Loi University), Phan Thi Ha Duong (Institute of Mathematics and Vingroup Innovation Foundation), Phung Ho Hai (Institute of Mathematics), Ha Minh Hoang (Phenikaa University), Nguyen Xuan Hoang (MISA Joint Stock Company), Doan Thai Son (Institute of Mathematics), Vo Sy Nam (VinBigdata), Vu Ha Van (VinBigdata and Yale University). The seminar will discuss in depth three development directions for students:
- Master’s degree pursuing. VinIF – VinBigdata and Unesco centre – Institute of Mathematics will introduce supporting programs on Mathematics for Vietnamese students.
- Business development: With a mathematical background, how can you develop your expertise deeply and sustainably in large companies and businesses?
- What mathematics do people really use in the workplace? How should math be taught and learned at schools and universities for practical applications on real life problem solving?
The event will be held at Hoang Tuy Hall, A6 Building, 18 Hoang Quoc Viet, Hanoi and will be livestreamed directly on VinBigdata’s Youtube channel.
Register here to attend the event.
(Registration deadline: until 12:00 pm on March 19, 2021).
The event is sponsored by the International Center for Research and Postgraduate Training in Mathematics – Institute of Mathematics and Vingroup Innovation Foundation – VinBigdata.